Monday, December 29, 2008

Off to the Humane Society!

Today we finally were able to take our donations from the supply drive to the Humane Society. “E” and I had a two hour window at work with no appointments, so spur of the moment we packed up his car and off we went.

We arrived at the Humane Society and asked where we should put donations. The receptionist had me take the cash to a different person, and then said to bring the supply donations to the front desk.

From the very beginning, before they even knew what we had to donate they were very appreciative. We gave a sum of cash donations as well as dog and cat food (both dry and wet), towels, blankets, toys, bowls, shredded paper, litter and yes, the infamous box of tennis balls (close to 30 I would guess). When all was said and done, several other volunteers and even people “just visiting” came to thank us. It was quite a pile for them, and from the sounds of it, came at the right time. An older gentleman, who volunteers there as a dog-walker, was quite beside himself about the tennis balls! “They’re gonna love those!”.

After unloading the car, we did a walk through to see the pets that would benefit from our donation. Even though we were just looking, the volunteers were really nice. They are amazing. They knew each animal, and modified their personal behaviors to best fit the comfort level of the animal. It changed my perspective quite a bit. You see, I have always felt bad that these animals are thrown away from society and then placed in these tiny little cages all alone. Now I know that is not really the case. I know it is not perfect, but it is far better than the lives these animals had before. For example, they tend to “pair” up scared or shy animals so they don’t feel lonely. They even try to keep “friends” that came in together, with each other all the way through adoption processes. Comfort and security are given freely. There are play areas, and rooms to just chill. They get to do other things, and not just sit in a cage.

As we walked around, I noticed that the volunteers don’t just clean the cages. These people talk to the animals like they are people. They give them kisses, and head rubs and belly rubs. They play with them on the floor, eye to eye, like peers. I was quite taken by this. These animals actually being treated like they have worth!!! (and no SSG, I did not cry – would have made me look like a sissy or something!)
Jimmy better be happy I didn't come home with these two Ladies!!! They both had really bad past lives (I will save you the details). The kitty even had a broken back! The life they lived, and the torment that was caused, and they still came to the door for a little lovin! (fyi, for the kitty, coming to the door was not a very easy task). My heart broke for these two. They both licked me and got their ears rubbed. It was all I could do to not take them home.
We, the human race, brag about this bigger brain and all the power of a concience. So why is it, that we prefer to destroy everything we touch, rather then grow a bigger heart to match that brain? Hmmm, food for thought.

12 comments:

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl December 30, 2008 at 5:35 AM  

I'm sorry, I'm leaving to adopt BOTH of those sweet faces right now!

(I'm sorry, but my verification word is cocrot. Now THAT'S something you'd need a cream for.)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. December 30, 2008 at 6:28 AM  

You have a heart of gold Predo and I love you for it!

Unconditional love from a pet...what a wonderful thing!
It helps make my world =)

NNG

Unknown December 30, 2008 at 6:47 AM  

What an awesome post. We have Thomas Jefferson our almost one year old rescue kitty...he is my heart. You are such an incredible person Predo and whie I know the accolades are not the reason why you do what you do...you are being told....you are a super STAR.

***Funny on the cocrot....that is halarious! Only SSG could get a captcha like that****

Love you so,

Marlene

Cool Breeze December 30, 2008 at 7:24 AM  

Your heart is truly as big as your brain.

Big Hair Envy December 30, 2008 at 8:55 AM  

Once again, you have blown me away with your kindness. You are one amazing human being, and I am SO proud to "know" you:)

HOW ON EARTH did you NOT cry? It's everything I can do to hold back the tears while looking at that POOR kitty.

(FYI - The South Beach Diet has a vegetarian menu. NO EXCUSES FOR YOU!!!)

Bella Della December 30, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

I am so proud of you guys. How cool! And so kind! All my babies are adopted from shelters or adopted us as strays. Hubby and I often visit shelters in the area to spend time with them all- even though we are at full capacity right now.

Thank you for what you did!

Lys December 30, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

OK, that's it - I'm telling Shadow and Sir Pees Alot to get along because NEITHER ONE OF THEM IS GOING! And this post got me all weepy :(

The Humane Society is one hell of an organization - if I had more room in the apt., I'd probably add more animals to it...

Anonymous,  December 30, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

I visited the Humane society fairly regularly trying to find the perfect pooch to bring home. Our local HS has the story of how each animal ended up there posted on their cage or crate...it broke my heart every time.

HalfAsstic.com December 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

Oh, food for thought indeed! Good one! I am very touched by what you have done and most especially by the animals you helped.
There's a special place in heaven for you, sweetie.

Molly December 30, 2008 at 3:49 PM  

"bog racing buggies in the trip to GA"??? Do tell.

And I can't go to shelters. I am a sissy. So I'm glad you can do it.

As to SSG's comment above, well, I spit out my water.

Frita December 30, 2008 at 11:12 PM  

omg i so want to go there now and get those babies! i can't wait to get a dog!! need to finish school first so can be home with the new baby.

ok ssg's word verification is TOO funny!

Suz Broughton December 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM  

Oh, I thought for SURE your next words were going to be and these are our new babies!
This is just wonderful

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP