Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Business Casual

Don't get me wrong, I like the new job, but I have to get used to a few things......


The dress code is "business casual", with the rule "if you look in the mirror and question whether or not to wear that outfit, then you probably should not".  So, what does that mean?  Well, I reflect on this rule as wearing nice slacks with a dress shirt but no tie.  A pair of comfortable shoes, like oxfords for example would be acceptable with a matching belt.

From what I see at my new job, I am way off base.  The outfit dejour appears to be old jeans, a t-shirt from a favored rap star and flip-flops.  Oh, and it appears that at least three facial piercings are required at all times.  A large percentage of the population there has pink, blue, or maroon hair with a "never" washed look as well.  The most unusual appearance, is the need for most of the ladies to have a skin tight shirt with cleavage down to their knees.  Very odd indeed!

I am not sure when I got this old, but obviously I missed a memo somewhere?  So, tell me, what is the dress code at your work?

9 comments:

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. February 11, 2009 at 9:24 AM  

If you are not management here at the phone factory most anything goes. There used to be a dress code years ago but with all the diversity and no one wanting to offend or be offended that dress code went straight to heaven. They dont care how you look~how you smell~just get here. And who cares if I am offened by any of it? Am I rambling or did you strike a nerve? I'm going for a piercing on my lunch break!

Bella Della February 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

Business. And I HATE it. That is why I have instituted by very own casual Friday. I'd prefer pajama Friday but I do like my job.

Business casual ain't what it used to be. Remember that there is a whole generation out there now that doesn't even know what real Sunday school clothes look like. Remember when that Olympic women's team- I forget the sport- showed up at the White House in flipflops?

We are old :)

Suz Broughton February 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

Business casual is the curse of modern society.

HalfAsstic.com February 11, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

I'm doing a bang-up job and moving reasonably fast if I am outa the nightgown and dressed in capris and flip flops by noon.
Super strict up in here! ;-)

Unknown February 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

Southern Preppy Dress except on Friday, khaki's and a collared shirt are okay then.

The president is of the old school thought...the way your are dressed reflects your work.

Jason, as himself February 11, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

Oh, oh, Predo's old.

There is no official dress code at my school for the teachers. However, we all tend to dress...wellll...business casual? I often wear what you described about slacks, dress shirt, belt, and matching shoes. Sometimes I wear jeans, and Fridays we wear our school "spirit wear."

But I never have multi-colored, unwashed hair, piercings, or flip flops at work.

Lys February 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

While we have "business casual", I read that as NO jeans, dress up and, of course, I get to wear killer stilettos if I like. Some of my friends work for offices where they have to wear closed toe medium heel shoes with stockings. THE HORROR! (especially in Florida - ugh!). We get to wear jeans time to time as long as we pay for it to go to charity. And, you know, sneakers and I are non-mixy things so those don't get worn to work.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com February 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

WOw. You are working in such a liberal environment.

My business casual is always trousers, a (covered) sweater or top, and ballet flats or low heels.

I rarely wear jeans on the job unless everyone else is, and I think it's ridiculous when women teeter around on super high heels or have really tight clothes on

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP