Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Excuse me, does this tiller make me look too butch?

Parental Warning!!! The following images may be too much for one to handle. So, Ladies, hold on to something strong, and Gentlemen, hold on to, well, whatever you want!!!

Dear guests, I would like to formally introduce to you, in all his wonder, in all his super butchness, in all his Hawtness, in all his dirty sweaty clothes...... Farmer Predo!!!



Yes, tis I, just doing a little Roto-tilling. Whew, look at that perfect line, look at that weather, look at oversized shirt!!

Yes, row after row of greatness! Just kidding, if you look at the left side of the picture, I think Grandpa's is checking to see if he zipped up his fly!!!! Funny guy!!! Actually if you click the picture, he is setting the line to plant perfect rows.

Again, me and Grandpa. He has a hard time tilling and wasn't going to do the garden this year. I decided to help get it rolling as this is the first year without Grandma. We did it for her.


Do you think there is enough space for flowers? Actually,the front is the part full of flowers, then the back half is for veggies. That way it looks great from the road!


So, above you see what I was doing while Hubby and Deb were figuring out the kitchen for Dinner, Supper, Dinner, Supper, whatever........oh, I must explain, huh?

So, while we were out getting groceries and visiting my Brother, My Uncle and Grandpa invited Uncles wife to Dinner. Dinner there is lunch, so she road her bike 8 miles to the house for lunch. Of course we were not there, so she ended up riding 8 miles back to her house. When we did finally show back up, and set out to start making Supper, we found out the debacle we caused. So, with guilty hearts and full whisky bottles, we went on with out plans.....

I tilled, talked, planted, watered, set live traps for racoons and well, drank. As luck would have it Hubby and Lil Deb were doing exactly the same thing, well drinking I mean.......While they were trying to figure out my Grandmothers Kitchen, still riddled with her memory and the history of her entire family, they were also trying to relax and feel comfortable within an entirely new environment. It is amazing how Kessler's helps with both of those dilemmas. I came in to check on them, and Hubby complained about not having any knives to use except a tiny little paring knife. I walked over and pulled down the under counter knife rack, and all were happy. While there, I also noticed the vast loss of whisky from the bottle. Someone had taken a nip or two or six or twelve, in my absence........Lil Deb? Why are you giggling?

So family began arriving, beer rolling out, neighbors driving in and out, or just waving on their way by. Grandpa was so happy. We had set up his new TV and he could actually see it. His house was all a flutter with family and the smell of home cooking. Everyone was warm and laughing from the weather, family and drink. It was fantastic. Everyone was starving, but kept out of the kitchen, as was always Grandma's rule. We sat outside talking and remembering the past. Grandpa and I were literally grinning so hard it hurt!

Lil Deb came out for a quick break and a puff, and sat down and joined the conversation. Her and Grandpa had become fast friends, it was cute to watch them. Grandpa kept trying to impress her with his wealth of jokes, and she kept laughing, even at the ones he already told. She headed back into the kitchen, and Grandpa followed. He asked if she wanted to try a "snort" of whisky, to which she said nothing, but lifted a glass full to show him he was too late. "My kind of Gal" he replied, and took me back outside. My cousins, Uncle, Aunt and well, anyone who wanted to stayed for supper.

Lil Deb and Hubby made like a hundred meat balls, spaghetti by the pounds, four loaves of garlic cheese bread, a super-sized salad and well a whole table full of food. My Uncle M and my cousin N had three heaping plate-fulls, then went back for more bread. Lil Deb and Hubby were exhausted, but did do what they set out to do, they fed an army! Lil Deb and Hubby walked back to sit with Gramps and his new TV. They watched the Polka hour, Hee-Haw and the Farm Report, and stayed awake most of the time. I lead the clean up brigade, then My Aunt A and her daughter J stepped in to help. Again, a house full of people, the sun gone down, and cleaning up after a great meal. I felt home again. (Thank you Lil Deb and Hubby, you gave me a loving memory).

The Dinner, Supper, Dinner, Supper joke was short lived after everyone was full, and we started milling around. I saved the five remaining meatballs for Grandpa's lunches. I packed up two microwave bowls for him to save. Each with spaghetti, two meatballs and a piece of bread. My cousin N and I started debating politics, not a good vibe, so I let that one go and headed to the living room with Grandpa. Lil Deb and Hubby were there almost asleep, so I hung out for about 15 minutes and then said the good byes for the day. Grandpa, himself, was looking a little run down as well. Hubby, Deb and I headed out the front door to get the car. I nodded at cousin N and said "Grandpa is looking pretty warn out" to which he got up and said, "time to go!" (cousin N worships Grandpa as much as I do).

We talked about the day non-stop on the way back to town. Lil Deb and Hubby made me so proud. I felt like I was showing them off or something. Like, I had the best in the world, and I think I did. Lil Deb and Hubby, my precious treasures.

So, back to the Inn, glass of water and off to dream land. Life was good......and we were all exhausted......and this was only


11 comments:

I Am Woody June 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

Any man that is willing to till a garden for his grandfather is worth his weight in gold!!

Unknown June 23, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

I just love you. You are such a good grandson.

Jason, as himself June 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

Yes, it makes you look wayyyy butch.

Suz Broughton June 23, 2009 at 10:09 PM  

You are such a wonderful person.

Anonymous,  June 23, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

Well What the Hell???? You forgot the strawberry/anglefood shortcake with Cool Whip for dessert!! Lil Deb

Anonymous,  June 24, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

You are a great writer and reading this whole blog as you post it makes me glad we were able to participate even though it was a tiny amount of time. We felt like you were instant friends and yet another part of the extended family of Lil Deb that we were happy to meet! Barb & Tom in the Northland

Bella Della June 24, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

Farmer Predo- this has made my whole day...possibly my week. Time for you to head out to VA and hang out on the little farm. Do you pull weeds?

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. June 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

OK the perfect grandson indeed!
Come to my house when you are done there!

HalfAsstic.com June 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

Wow! Color me impressed! Does Del Monte know about this effort to put them out of business... Cause, day-yum, that's a lot of garden!

big hair envy June 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

Hey there, Stud Muffin!! You look great in that garden;)

I absolutely LOVE this story! It makes me think of my grandparents. I miss them terribly...

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP