Monday, June 15, 2009

Grandpa, I would like you to meet.....

I introduced Lil Deb and My Hubby to Grandpa.  He shook hands, smiled, and beamed at me.  He seems to be quite happy to have me back.  It is a little different, but it is nice.  He took Lil Deb and My Hubby full force as family, without question.  In fact, off we went in his "Mule" to see the "Family Farm"!




Two and a half hours of touring, and we only saw just over half the farm.  Grandpa and I sat up front, laughing, joking, remembering yesteryear and actually seeing eye to eye as men.  I think, with Grandpa who doesn't talk much in regard to emotion, that trips to the bottom are moments of relating.  On these trips, we bond, learn, understand, forgive.  All under the protective umbrella of jokes and pride.  It was a wonderful moment for me.  I held conversation about farming like I was still doing it.  He was impressed at my memory of it all, and every once in awhile threw a line in like "it shore was horrible what you went through" or "I just can't imagine you not feeling comfortable in my home" or "I am so happy all this is past and we can start again".  I told him, he doesn't need to start again, just pick up where we started up again.  

All this bonding time up front, Hubby and Deb were clenching fists and butts to hang on to the bumpy ride!  I turned around to point out a childhood favorite sight and Lil Deb had this look.  She looked like "Cheese Whiz, what did I do!  Our Father who art in Heaven........."!  She had one hand of the hold bar, white knuckled and locked tight for life.  Her other hand was squeezed soundly on The Hubby's leg!  He had the look like "Oh My!  I hope the circulation comes back into the leg sometime soon!"  I turned back forward and quietly giggled to myself!  Grandpa was testing the water to see what these two were made of.  To their credit, they pretended to have a good time and said nothing of the scary roller-coaster ride!

I was in my hay-day.  My life as a child, Grandpa knew I loved to get away and spend days even weeks at a time living in the woods of the bottom land.  To share those moments from so long ago with the two dearest people in my life was incredible.  I was able to give a brief glimpse of the places that were my temporary freedoms.  I still smile at that moment.  How amazing it was for me to crack open the vault of my childhood to let others look into what used to be such a protected, walled off place.  Grandpa was pretty smart to start us out on a trip through that place.  Thank you Grandpa!

After our trip we made it back to the shop where my Uncle D and his wife A, daughter J and her soon to be husband Mr. J.  My Uncle M was there as well.  We drank beer and talked about some of the good times from when I was growing up there.  They talked to Lil Deb and My Hubby like they were just as much family as I was.  It was wonderful!  At about 8:30 we realized we had about a half hour to get checked into the hotel, so we had to go!





We made it to the Inn, walked into the bar and got checked in.  The owner was tending bar and gave us a tour of the room.  It was previously a one bedroom apartment!  It had a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room and little dining room - all for $85 a night!  We unloaded the car, went into the bar and had supper.  What was on the menu?  Deep fried cheese curds, deep fried mushrooms, deep fried mozzarella sticks, french fries and for the Hubby a cheese burger.  Do you see a trend here?  I had Gin and tonic, Hubby had white wine and Lil Deb, in vacation mode, had Potosi beer from the draft!  While waiting for food, Hubby put $20 in to the video poker machine.  Only when the food arrived did he realize that it was "for entertainment only" and that it would not pay out!  What fun!  It was the perfect meal to slow down the perfect day!

After supper, we went back up to our room, poured another drink and settled in for the night!  Here are some photos' to hold you until tomorrows entry!!!!!!!








Oh, and yes, Lil Deb did fall asleep in almost this exact position.  My Hubby had to sneak in, take off her glasses, put the book on the night stand and force her to go to sleep.  She was kind of like a kid at Christmas - she did not want to go to sleep!!!

Yes SSG, she is reading the twilight series!!!

8 comments:

HalfAsstic.com June 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

Predo, you outdid yourself with the telling of this tale! I got the feeling of the whole thing and wished I was there with you all! What fun and how gratifying!

T June 16, 2009 at 1:34 AM  

Your Grandpa sounds like an amazing, loving man and your post just oozes happiness!

Unknown June 16, 2009 at 5:37 AM  

WOW!!! That was FUN!
Makes me feel like I was with you all! Can't wait for next update!
Have a GREAT time! :)

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl June 16, 2009 at 6:15 AM  

Another convert! We'll have to take her to swoon over Edward in the movies next time : )

And now I'm craving deep fried cheese ...

Unknown June 16, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

I really love to hear all your stories and of Grandpa as well. I wish I had cheese curds.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. June 16, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

You have some great stories Predo. Thanks for sharing them!

Big Hair Envy June 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

I always look forward to the next installment in your Adventures With Grandpa series. These stories always make me smile:)

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP