Saturday, January 24, 2009

I am back!!!!

Oh, it is sooooo warm here!!!!  Yes, SSG, I took your advice about the mustache!  Today I have to trim it down to something more manageable.  I think I looked like some rodeo reject with a God-Awful three inch mustache for the whole week - but at least I "looked" butch!!!!  The bad thing was, that my breath would freeze a bunch of miniature ice-cycles on my whiskers.  Very sexy!!!!

This is going to come to you in mixed timeframes, as story lines tended to cross back and forth over the week.  I am not as capable as SSG, but I will do my best.  Suffice it to say, it was a wonderful trip and I am soooo happy I went.  Now, on with the story.

I left my house at 9:30 am Friday morning, and pulled into Grandpa's driveway just before midnight.  It was 35 degrees below zero without the windchill!!!!  More then a minute outside and my fingers were useless!

I walked into his house and the memories came flooding back.  I stood there with my suitcase and backpack for about 5 minutes in a visual flashback.  I could see Grandma making a pancake for Grandpa right there in the kitchen I was standing in.  I saw myself as a little kid wrestling with Grandpa on the floor by the dining table.  I saw the moments in my youth that only Grandparents can give, and the stability that goes along with it.  When I realized that everything was completely different now, I felt sad, but at ease.  I then noticed the Christmas picture of Jimmy and I on Grandpa's fridge.  I knew everything was going to be fine.  Grandma is gone, but I was able to say good-bye and share my life's moments with her first.  The family has accepted me and Jimmy, and will soon be more comfortable with him once they finally meet.  I curled up on the cot, and went right to sleep.  I felt like I was home again.  

At 6:45 am, I awoke to Grandpa in the kitchen.  (My cot was in the kitchen right next to the front door).  We started talking, and did not stop until I left!  Next time I am taking a collection of video cameras and recording devices with me.  I have to catch all his stories to be saved forever.  He has really lived.  

There is so much to cover, but I feel maybe you need a better understanding of the two of us to gage the complexity of our relationship.  So, for starters, here is a little about us......



"Harley R. Walter, John Deere retirement picture, winter 1984-85"  (Grandma was always perfect about writing on the back of every picture she got her hands on.....)

This is my Grandpa!  The picture was taken about the time I moved in to live with them.  He is the single greatest man that has ever existed in my blood line!

"Wedding Photo - July 26, 1946.
Left to Right, Harley Walter, Hazel Harris Walter, Helen Harris Walter, and Calvin Walter.
Helen is sister to Hazel and Calvin is brother to Harley."
Helen and Cal were married as well.  Two brothers married two sisters.


"Predo, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, August 1988"

Yep, yours truly!!  I look like I am playing dress up in the fifth grade!!!!

"Predo, Class picture, Potosi High School, 1988.  His Aunt Patricia (Pete) nick named him Predo when he was quite young and it seems to have taken the place of his given name"

Grandma was right, although she always called me by my given name.  She also had a tendency to call me the names of every boy she gave birth to as well.  Kind of like when she wanted me to come do something for her is was always....."Larry, Dennis, Roger, Mark, Predo, come help me!"  I know why, every one of us looks the same!  Even my cousins, the other grandkids have the look.  Strong gene's in this family!!!



My Grandparents, and five of their children stepped in and raised me to be a good person.  My real Father and Mother had failed miserably.  To this day, I have no want to ever see or know my true parents.  It just seems natural to me that I don't have parents, I have Hazel, Harley, Dennis, Roger, Jean and especially Mark and Pete to thank for my survival.  I was very lucky, and am grateful everyday for them.  

I left the family for 20 years because of my parents.  I told my family I was gay, and then disappeared in order to never have them have to decide between myself or my parents.  I think now, I can live among them and simply time my visits appropriately.  I just wont be there if my parents are.  They all understand this, and now have 20 years to catch up on!

So, I have so much to do now that I am back, but will return for a new episode tomorrow.....

9 comments:

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl January 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

I miiiiiiiiiissed you! Can't wait to see you and your hot ass tonight. And Jimmy's too. Squeeze it for me!

And PLEASE you're so butch.

(And P.S. Your parents can suck it. I don't like them.)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. January 24, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

Predo! Welcome home! I have missed you to pieces! I cannot wait to hear all the stories! I know you have a lot of catching up to do...but we really need to discuss those critters of yours. I do hope the place is intact!
Again...welcome home my friend..you were truly missed!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. January 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Harley~ I just love that name! I love Walter even better!

Did I miss you or what?

Unknown January 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

Welcome Home Baby Boy! Welcome home! You were so missed and I can not wait to hear all about your trip...Grandpa is a definite hottie!

Love ya,

Marlene

Frita January 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

Yeah!!! You're back... we missed you so. I can't wait to hear more about these wonderful people. I'm so glad you are reconnecting with them! Your grandpa IS adorable!

HalfAsstic.com January 24, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

What a good looking guy, your grandfather is! And you are none too shabby either! Cutie-patootie!
I am so happy for you that you are rejoined with your family and visiting with them. Your biological parents are not important. They didn't make you who you are. The loving people who raised and nurtured you are the ones who get all the credit for that.
I can't wait to hear more! Hurry up!

Anonymous,  January 24, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

WELCOME HOME!! We've missed you:) SO glad to hear your visit went well. I now know where you got your good looks.....GRANDPA!!! WHAT a cutie:)

Jason, as himself January 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

Wow. I'm glad you're back home, and I'm glad you had a good visit.

But...I'm so sorry that things with your parents have been so bad.

It looks like you and I went to high school during the same four year span.

I Am Woody January 25, 2009 at 7:37 AM  

Welcome back! I am glad that you had such wonderful family to step into the shoes left by your parents!

You do look like such a little boy in the military photo!

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP