Thursday, January 1, 2009

Life defined by Grandpa...

Today seems to be the yearly marker of resolutions.  People ask each other what they have resolved for the new year.  What are you going to give up?  What are you going to stop doing?  What are you going to change?  For me, these questions have no answer.  Why?  This year it is all about what I am going to rediscover and embrace.


For those of you who have read my blog kind of have an idea of the ground I stand on.  That is where I am going to refocus, the ground I stand on.  This sounds a little odd, I will give you that, but read on....

I have been told many times that I am an old soul.  I have been described as a motivator, a mood control, if you will, for those around me.  As kind as these statements are, I think they are more deserved by my Grandpa.  You see, I am a collective representation of the lessons he taught me.  There is no possible way for me to share the answer to "What is life?", but I can share his words.  His words are what made me the man I am today. His words are the gravity of my universe.  His words are the building blocks to my every day.  His words are too valuable for me to slice up and hand back to you as my interpretation.  So, without further ado (and any more references to "his words") here you go:

Grandpa says:

"Don't worry!  Worry does not resolve anything, it simply eats up energy, time, emotion, and value.  Worry is useless"

"Good friends are not friends at all, they are family.  They have a different blood line, yes, but they chose you.  You can't say that for natural relatives!"

"Do the right thing.  If you don't know if you are doing the right thing, then you probably aren't"

"Live for yourself, and no one else.  Think about it, is anyone else going to take your place in that coffin on judgement day?"

"Find Happiness inside you.  Happiness can't be bought off the shelf.  It can't be eaten, or poured into a glass, or even smashed into a pill.  Happiness is inside yourself and not outside in the world.  The world, and time will go on without you having ever existed, so why would it owe you happiness?  Look into yourself for happiness, it is in there, just find it, embrace it, and feed it.  It is sitting in there right next to pride, respect, responsibility and joy.  Go shake hands and introduce yourself"

"Nothing has more value then the love of your life, nothing!"

"Don't go to bed angry, sad, lonely or drunk.  You never really know if you will wake up, so go to sleep at peace."

"Treat others better then you treat yourself.  You will never have to regret your behavior." 

"Woman is the better sex.  There is no argument.  Like God, they can create life."

"Share the gifts life has brought you.  Not because others may not have these gifts, but because the act itself is a gift to those you share with and yourself for sharing."

"Everyone will die, and when you do, what would you like them to say?  For me, I want them to say "He was a good man, and I am better for knowing him.  That's it, but that's a lot"

"If you can't stand alone, sit down and others will come to help you!"

"Love is not an emotion, it is a dedicated way of life"

"Look in the mirror.  If you don't see greatness, then get your shit together and change it."

"Many people have come before you.  Many of those people made the same mistakes.  Learn from the mistakes of others, it will give you more time for the better things in life.  Like making love after a wonderful meal or watching your children see something new for the first time."

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.  So for New Years this year, I am going to reintroduce myself to me, and to my Grandpa.  I am going home this month to tell him about the gifts he has given me.  I hope these gifts benefit you as well, because Grandpa thinks they will.

7 comments:

Unknown January 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

You have sage wisdomand a glorious gift in your grandpa...never lose this post as I want to refer back to it at least once a day.

His words are really inspiring. I think we should all listen to his pearls of wisdom. You are very blessed and I am for receiving you as a new friend...a life long friend.

Love you,

Marlene

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl January 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

I can honestly say, since I'm lucky enough to get to hang out with you on a regular basis, that you embody each of these characteristics already. Your grandpa is a great gift to you and your family, but YOU are a great gift to US.

(And he said NOTHING about checking out your own ass in the mirror--who did you learn that from? Grandma?)

Love you!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. January 2, 2009 at 5:44 AM  

Wonderful words of wisdom. You are quiet the guy Predo and so is Grandpa.

Love you!
NNG

Jason, as himself January 2, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

Hello! First of all, thanks for stopping by The Jason Show and browsing a bit, and thanks for your comment.

I've also been looking through some of your posts and--is it too early in this blog relationship to say that you seem like a fascinating and intelligent person?

I admire the warmth you feel for your grandpa, and these words of wisom from him are great ones to live by.

I have now officially bookmarked your blog, and I'll be seeing you soon.

Anonymous,  January 2, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

The impact our grandparents' have on us never ceases to amaze me. We are truly blessed to have them in our lives....although it never seems long enough:(

Enjoy your trip. Soak up Grandpa's wisdom, reflect on the other amazing people in your life, and give thanks for a journey well-traveled. The best is yet to come in 2009!!!!!

Suz Broughton January 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

What a gift you have in your grandpa! Thanks for sharing him with us.

Lys January 4, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

Your grandpa sounds like an amazing person - as do you. His advice is spot on.

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP