Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Songs from Night Flight

Nightflight.jpg

Night Flight ran from 1981 to 1988.  I was not introduced to it until 1986 when my Aunt got cable.  Night Flight was a four hour "up all night" series that played music videos, news snap shots and just a plethora of mini-series topics.  They even sometimes played full length "indie" type movies.  I loved this show, and here are some of the songs it gave me.  



Terence Trent D'Arby gave us Wishing Well in 1987.  I loved his first album, and listened to it over and over again.  I look back now, and still see his genius, but can't get over the taste of the synth feeling that washed through the eighties.  He has had many albums, but none with this kind of acceptance.  Still a great singer, and I still love this song....




Bon Jovi had been singing Runaway for some time, but did not actually release it until 1983.  Another great album, and obviously the band has staying power!!!  This song was played almost daily on the bus to school on my little "boom-box" that burned through batteries like butter!!!!  




Abracadabra by the Steve Miller band was an unusual mix for them, but 1982 was an unusual year.  This song skyrocket them into multiple facets of the days musical mix.  I still like the original style, but they had to change with the times.....



Troy by Sinead O'conner was released in 1987 and I waited in line to get the album in Dubuque Iowa.  The funny thing was, the people in line were there for another album, I was the only one there for hers.  This song is in my top 10 favorites of all time, as is the album itself.  Chalk it up to the time in my life, the haunting tones and her incredible ability to pitch.  This recording is awful, but it gets the point across.  Regardless of your belief in the Pope, or her emotions regarding the Roman Catholic Church, please give her a try.





Oh, Phil.  Phil Collins released In the Air Tonight in 1981.  The song was riddled with rumors of any kind.  People just couldn't get the song or why he wrote it, but they all loved it.  I don't know a single person who has not heard this song.  Phil is another one with great singer with staying power......

8 comments:

I Am Woody February 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

I have never even heard of Night Flight but I always wanted to shave my head like Sinead!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. February 4, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

I dont remember this show~Must have been stoned~I was all about the MTV though~Oh yeah I love me some Phil Collins! And Trent and Steve!

Anonymous,  February 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

OMG! Thanks for that little trip down memory lane:) Terence Trent D'Arby was the man MC Hammer WANTED to be!!! LOVE that song!

Sinead was never one of my favorites, but I spent many an hour with Steve, Phil & Jon Bon Jovi:)

Unknown February 4, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

In the Air Tonight when Phil picks up those sticks and starts playing the beat still can give me shivers...I can never tire of hearing this song.

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl February 4, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

Ooooh all good ones! What song are you going to choreograph Spleen's dodgeball team's little number to?

Suz Broughton February 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

Okay, I was just listening to Troy today. It is such a great song. I can't believe you posted about it. You are so bitchin'!

Suz Broughton February 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

Okay, I was just listening to Troy today. It is such a great song. I can't believe you posted about it. You are so bitchin'!

Unknown February 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

Never heard of Night Flight...but I SO REMEMBER everything else....MTV was on constantly forever at our house! LOVE it all!

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP