Thursday, February 12, 2009

What's in your lunch box?

So, a few days down and I am feeling a little more comfortable at my new job.  Last night at work I noticed the food brought in!


The lunch room has candy and soda machines.  Sugar and salt are the staple!  My co-workers bring lunch boxes as well, so I took a moment to sneak a peak at what they were eating.  Most carried their leftovers from the night before along with snickers and kit-kats and soda and donuts and jerky and so on............The Lady sitting beside me had a Slim-fast drink, followed by a Butterfinger, a diet soda and then a package of Oreo cookies.

I amount of exercise is limited to the occasional walk to the rest-room.  Well, lets see, high intake of junk and low output of movement.  What do we think is happening here?

In my three days, I have scoped out my plan.  I park about a mile from work in the "over-fill" lot and walk to work.  I also take my lunch with me.  What is in my lunch box?

Two "True Green" veggie bars, three Morning Star farms vegetarian sausage patties, 1 large metal water bottle, Tofurky Jurkey, carrots, vitamins and a pack of gum.

At break time I walk around the building twice.  At lunch, I eat and climb the stairs a couple of times.  

What is my point?  It is astounding the amount of pills and potions designed for weight loss that sit at almost every desk.  Is this the trick to weight-loss?  No!  They take the pills for energy.  They pop a pill to stay awake, and back it with sugar and salt chasers!  With this new found knowledge within me, I awake this morning and turn on the television.  Show after show of how to eat, how to exercise, how to loose weight and what to wear to cover the fat!

Now, I am not passing judgement at all, but do you see a trend here?  What have we become as a society?   Work, work, work is the order for survival, and no one is able to live, live, live.  We need to take a moment to be selfish.  We need to actually feed ourselves and not just fuel up to keep working.  We need time to play, move, dance and enjoy our bodies!  I don't think people are actually sitting around to find ways to get to that heart attack faster, I think they are just locked in a mindset and a pattern of habit.

I am glad that I have my friends that blog.  They give me the perception that there are people out there working to change this path for themselves.  To you, I am proud.  For you I am happy.  Because of you, I know it can be done!

6 comments:

HalfAsstic.com February 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

Well, that was motivational! I have been trying to do more physically lately too! Now that H is back home, the trick is to not fall back into my sedentary ways.
Gotta bust a move! LOL

Unknown February 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

You mindset is has been my mindset since I changed my life on January 5th. I now don't struggle but I chose not to go back to the way things use to be either.

This was such an inspiring post...it makes me want to go walk those stairs yet again...well, not tonight but tomorrow is a new day an another dollar.

Thanks Predo!!!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. February 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

Around here we eat good and work hard! Living out in the big woods there is always lots to do! Makes for a good life I think.
And when its time to play...well we wont go there!
Keep up the good work Predo~you may even rub off on some of your co-workers.

I Am Woody February 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM  

Yep, working on changing.....

Big Hair Envy February 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

I can only hope that your sedentary co-workers will take notice of your healthy habits. Won't it be amazing when they finally realize that you can have energy without pills or sugar?? YAY for you:)

Anonymous,  February 18, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

Wow, great post...I couldn't agree more! Hopefully, you will lead them with your most-awesome example. :)

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP