Monday, December 8, 2008

Dough for Doernbecher!

What is dough for Doernbecher?

In conjunction with the Safeway Clackamas Bread Plant’s Annual Cookie Bake Event, Rivermark Community Credit Union partners with the Doernbecher Foundation and the Bread Plant to produce 5-pound bags of sugar cookie dough. All of the cookie ingredients are donated and all proceeds go to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. This year’s 25th Annual Cookie Bake took place at the Clackamas Bread Plant on Sunday, December 7 and they looked like they had a blast!  

So, I got 50 pounds of dough! Good Lawd!!! Actually 25 pounds was for co-workers. I then gave a 5 pound bag to a friend. So, wait, little Bill has 10 bags of cookie dough, and gives away 6 bags, then, uhm, oh, how many pancakes does it take to shingle a dog house? Just kidding…..  

I am baking 5 pounds to send to Grandpa, with some new, super warm gloves (and another box of easy food for him to eat). I also put in a couple DVD Westerns and peanut M&M's! Grandpa really enjoys getting things in the mail. I mean really enjoys it. He said no one uses the mail anymore, it is all electronic. Anyway, I am going to try and send him something goofy like every other day or so, to give him something to look forward too.  

I have cookies, then gloves and other food. I am thinking maybe a bunch of jokes, and also a book by Barbara K. Roberts about grieving. What else? Can you think of anything that would show him I care a lot, and that would keep him from getting lonely? PS- the other 3 bags of cookie dough are for me! Just kidding, I will let Jimmy have at least one cookie!

7 comments:

Suz Broughton December 8, 2008 at 11:53 PM  

Aren't you a sweetie? Your Grandpa is lucky to have you.

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl December 9, 2008 at 5:05 AM  

SSG enjoys mail too. And we know who likes cookeez in dis haus (from teh FiSHeR). Just SAYING : )

Your care package sounds great! I don't think it needs anything else! He's going to be SO happy!

Bella Della December 9, 2008 at 6:12 AM  

How special. I am HUGE fan of mail, real mail. I think in this day of e-mail and computers we all forget how special it is to open the mailbox and find a card or package. When I was with hubby #1 and the Army separated us (which was quite often) we both wrote to each other every single day. I have bundles and bundles of cards and letters. And even though our lives went separate ways I will treasure them forever.

You should head on down to your local Dollar Tree where greeting cards are 2/$1. I stock up on those and the have some good ones. You might also find some other fun stuff in there to send. You do have Dollar Trees out there, right? Please say yes.

Hugs!

Cool Breeze December 9, 2008 at 7:26 AM  

I'm hip with the whole cookie thing. I think I ate a pound or two last night.

You are already doing a lot. I'm sure he knows.

Big Hair Envy December 9, 2008 at 9:37 AM  

What a great grandson you are:)

You could always throw in some super warm socks to go with the super warm gloves. (I'm a BIG fan of warm socks!!)

My Grandmother used to enjoy receiving a Whitman's Sampler, or any other type of boxed candy. She didn't eat it herself, she saved it to share when she had company come to visit. She was such a loving soul, and when she was no longer able to cook, the candy provided an opportunity for her to give a little treat to the ones she loved:)

Lys December 9, 2008 at 10:07 AM  

Awww - how sweet :) Yes, noone uses the mail anymore :::sigh::: Even our 9to5 told us to send our clients "E-Cards". WTH???

Anywayz, I think the occassional note or something small every so often will really brighten his day.

HalfAsstic.com December 9, 2008 at 8:02 PM  

You know, you are a very generous guy! And not just because you so thoughtful and for sending things to your grandpa to make him feel better. Or because you bought thousands of pounds of cookie dough from a charitable organization.
But you are willing to let Jimmy have, "at least one cookie".
You da man!
One of the best gifts I ever got for my pop was a cigar box filled with all kinds of neat things. It was for Christmas and I just went to town with a bottle of bubbles, (you know, the kind with the little wand that you dip in the solution and blow through the hoop), special tissues to clean his glasses with and a little eye glass tool set, a deck of cards, a small etch-a-sketch, etc. It was fairly inexpensive and lots of fun for him to open, too.
Since your grandpa likes to get things in the mail so much, you could just send him a new thing each day... that'd be fun to get!

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP