Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Bumper Sisters

So, I hope  you understand the basic relationship that Tim, Jimmy, Naomi and Debbie have.  They are wonderful old souls and should be martyred.  I worship every moment I am blessed to spend with them.  As individuals, they are amazingly strong, wonderful people.  Together, they are a force that can only leave you with a sense of hope and respect.  I think it would be quite something for them to write a book.  (No disrespect Debbie, you can still start a Jack-A-Lope farm!!!)


Now, I should explain the picture of Tim and Jimmy in drag.  They are not drag queens, or cross dressers, or transvestites.  They simply dressed up occasionally for fun or fund raising.  Notice that Jimmy did not shave his mustache for it!

My time spent with them in this particular fashion was simply to raise money.  See, Tim and Jimmy were part of the original Bumper Sisters.  A group of guys that got together and performed bad drag, with bad lip sink, in bad taste, in an effort to make people laugh and be happy.  Every event I have attended was in some form attached to raising money for Aids/HIV.

The last event was for a a food bank/hospice.  Tim and Jimmy came up with the idea, not only to raise funds, but to use laughter to create memories.  They understood that despair only leads to depression and giving up.  They chose to enlighten people, raise others hopes, and even lighten painful moments.  Terminal illness is not a reason to simply give up and stop living.

These two men became well known as funny, but also as loving, understanding and respectful.  Together and with the help of others, they put a smile on the faces of people filled with fear and regret.  Forgiveness, Self respect and Hope have as much value as the money raised to buy food and medical supplies.  

Through them, I have been introduced to death and pain, but also the joys of living.  Even though we do not have the disease, we do feel the effects of it.  Tim and Jimmy have introduced me to people who then pass away.  They do not let them wallow in self pity, they push for them to live while they are alive.  Celebrate life is more then a tag line, it should be a natural emotion.

Think about it.  What have you done today that tells someone else that they matter?  What have you done for yourself, because you matter just as much?  Tim, Debbie, Jimmy and Naomi have given me the gift of looking outside of myself.  They have shown me that as individuals, we can be amazing, but together we can be a thousand fold more incredible.  Take my lesson as your own.  Help change a persons day, their life, or their world.  What ever the case, it will certainly change yours as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  March 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

I have enjoyed catching up on your band of merry-makers!!! Tell Debbie that I have 76 acres of land, and I think it would be really cool to start a Jack-A-Lope farm!!

We could offer Snipe Hunts in the spring, and a Corn Maze in the fall. Any other suggestions?? Heehee!!!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. March 6, 2009 at 1:59 AM  

I agree Predo,small acts of kindness can create a mountain, nothing better for all of us than paying it forward.

Anonymous,  March 6, 2009 at 6:57 AM  

Thanks for the offer Big Hair Envy!
We will present your amazing proposal at our next board meeting.
All My Best,
Debbie

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP