Thursday, March 19, 2009

Shocking trend.....

Here in Portland there is a trend that has been growing over the last year or so.  Almost every off ramp from almost every freeway has a person standing there with a sign asking for money.  This is not shocking with our unemployment rate at the 10% mark.  I usually send them a silent prayer and hope they can get on their feet soon.


Yesterday however, there was a sign that made the point exactly.  I did not have the guts to take his picture, but here is what the sign said:

"Hate your job?"
"Not Happy?"
"Sick of leftovers?"

"Then trade me places!"


I passed him by for the moment, went down the street and got him a cheep rain coat, a big bottle of beer and a sandwich from the store and took it back to him.  I handed it too him with $5.00 and he said "May this be the deciding moment for you to enter into heaven, Thank You very much!"

As I walked away, he opened the beer before he put on the rain coat.

I reflected a lot on how great my life is.  Sure, it is not easy, but I have very little to actually complain about.  I wish the same for all of you.

These are hard times Ladies and Gentlemen, we must all come together and do our part.  You never know, tomorrow it could be one of us standing on the corner begging for food!

6 comments:

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. March 19, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

I could not have said it better.

We all need to be more thankful and more giving.
Great post Predo.

Anonymous,  March 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

WAY TO COMMIT RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS MY FRIEND!!!!

I Am Woody March 19, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Yes, I am blessed. Very, very blessed. Thank you for reminding me!

Anonymous,  March 19, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

Oh, that is so true! And I thank God regularly for our home and jobs.
You are a sweet, thoughtful guy, Predo!

ab March 19, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

I'm a firm believer in karma. You've got good, sweet things coming your way!

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl March 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

You're so amazing! And sweet! And insightful! And kind!

And if I was ever homeless and standing on a street corner it would be the one in front of YOUR HOUSE because Jimmy's cooking ohmahgah I could eat leftovers for days!

Oh wait I already DO THAT.

Who is the lucky one again? I say ME for knowing YOU.

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP