Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Shuffle

Okay, so I am working long hours, waiting for Oscars results, not sleeping well and even not eating right.  I still walk like a normal biped.  I cannot figure it out.  Did something in the universe change when we clicked over to 2009?


Everywhere I go, People are shuffling along at a slow, depressed state, staring at the ground.  There is absolutely no recognition of other individuals on the planet.  Cars backing out of a parking space with out looking, not holding a door for the next person, disrespecting others by not even recognizing their existence.  People at a register to pay for their purchase, a drooling space cadet the entire time their 500 items get rung up, and then act all surprised and dig for the checkbook that could have been prepared hours ago.  How about the guy standing in line audibly complaining about the time it takes him to get to the register, and then when he is there and done with his transaction he talks to the clerk endlessly about the weather.  What happened?

I remember when people would say "Hello".  I remember when holding the door for a Lady was simply the proper requirement.  Paying attention to those around you, and respecting them just simply was part of the process.  Are we really turning into a society that pretends not to see anyone else?  Has email and texting destroyed the art of verbal conversation or polite interaction?  Where are we headed?

SSG - Your loud neighbor is another great one to use (sorry just read your blog after this posted)......

9 comments:

Bella Della March 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

I hear ya! I make an effort each day to engage folks around me. I think you can change a person's entire day by smiling, saying hello, holding the door or elevator...etc.

I Am Woody March 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

As a girl from a small southern town, I thought everyone spoke or at least smiled at strangers on the street. Held the door. Let the guy with only 2 items ahead of you and your cartload of groceries at the checkout.

When work took us to West Palm Beach, I entered a whole new world. People would look at me like I had sprouted another head when I did things that I thought of as normal politeness. Many would not even acknowledge the kindness. It was very disheartening.

People may think I'm crazy but I just can't throw off my raising. I'm still going to do the polite thing.

Anonymous,  March 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM  

Don't let it get you down...it's only castles burning...just find someone who's turning, and you will come around...

Dearest Predo, you're just feeling vulnerable right now because of Little Oscar's illness.. Don't fret overly much Honey. People are still the same and just waiting for that dazzling smile of yours to light up their world! So go boldly out into it and let 'em have it!! You'll be amazed at the difference you make.

love, love, LOVE YOU!!!!

random thougths March 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

Just keep being the person that you are and people around you just might catch on. Maybe that person you smile at will pass it on to another, or the one you hold the door for will pay it forward... call me naive, butI HAVE to believe it!

Unknown March 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

I definitely feel ya on this post...I think some of it can be blamed on the advancement of technology, but I believe that we are becoming so scared of people that we don't know that we are self secluding...I put some of the blame on media.

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl March 12, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

Hey Sunshine! I think the overall stress and weight of uncertainty are catching up with everyone a bit.

You're going through a lot of changes right now too and are worried about little Puppers. Rest, relax and take care of yourself. All will be back to normal soon. Especially once the sun starts comin' out in these parts!!

I think we need to take a beach vacation ...

Big HUG to you!

HalfAsstic.com March 13, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

I know what you're talking about, but it's not ALWAYS the case, at least not here. I think this economy is sucking so bad that it's effecting everyone's mood. Lack of money woes...
Do you think that could be it?

mom x 2 March 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

I am so feeling your pain on this one. I am not sure what happened but I do believe in killing them with kindness... spread the sunshine :)

Happy Friday !

Lys March 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

I think everyone is reacting to the media and the constant news that is forever in our face 24/7 - Recession, Great Depression, Warren Buffett lost a ton, the Pussycat Dolls are in danger of a break up, yadda yadda yadda. I think if you keep at your pace, the people around you will catch on :)

Glass half full - think I need to revisit that outlook.

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP