Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tim

Okay, so now that I am older, I can reflect on things better (or simply forget about them all together!)


When it comes to Tim, there is an untold, never discussed story.  Let me change gears here for a second.....

So, being Gay is the only minority in which you go home to a family who is not that minority.  We are utterly alone in our youth.  It is also the only minority that still has legal discrimination regarding what we can and can not do or what others can or can not do to or for us.  Having said that, when I met Tim, I saw similarities to my own previous existence.

Tim and I both grew up in the midwest, and then both served our county at war time.  Tim was sent off to Vietnam to fight, kill and destroy.  Now, as gay men, we tend to console, revive and redecorate, so this is all backwards.  My point?  So, when it comes to feeding bodies to the death machine, gay men are not questioned.  In fact, they are pushed right on through.  It seems a matter of the beneficial approach when it comes to decisions about my people.  Oh, and this trend has gone on for the entire history of our country.

Anyway, I met Tim when I was just coming off the "Prove them all wrong" train.  I was under the illusion, that if I was a "Good Fag" that I could show people we had value.  Tim is the one who explained that wasting my life to live by the rules of others is no life at all.  

Tim went to Vietnam.  He had a "friend" there.  He saw horrors that should not, and can not be simply explained.  He sacrificed for the good of a country that did not even care enough to try to recognize his efforts.  Tim and I were connected by this ridiculous double standard.  The difference is that he had come to terms with it, and I was still fighting it.

Tim "brought me off the ledge" so to speak about what we were and where we had  been.  He taught me that the common person can never understand the extreme effort it took for us to do what we did.  He also made me aware that others understanding was not required to be proud of our own strength.  He gave me back my sanity and my humor.

Tim was not what I would call run of the mill.  He is himself and nothing else.  He is intelligent, emotionally strong, and well informed.  He lives his life, his way, and for that I am both proud and happy for him.

So, after all that, he is also a great story teller and tour guide.  When you get Jimmy, Naomi, Debbie and Tim all in the same room, you simply sit back and pay attention for hours!  These people have lived, and they shared their lives with each other, and they always will.  

One of the greatest emotions I can know is laughter through tears, and when ever we even speak we laugh so hard our eyes run!   

6 comments:

Anonymous,  March 4, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

I didn't know it was possible to love you even more than I already do...but....(gulping back tears here)...I believe I do! Deb

I Am Woody March 4, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

I am ashamed that we, as a society, are so blinded by prejudices. You are an amazing man.

Unknown March 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

I was raised by someone who had seen so many prejudices in his life that he strived to teach me never to see anything other than the human being. I love all no matter who, what, when, where, or why...and I just want you to know that...

I love you with all my heart.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. March 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

Well I will say that Tim is a very smart fellow! "Others understanding is not required to be proud of your own strenghs." Well said. Being a product of the "housing project" I understand this all too well. Predo I am so happy that you have such wonderful friends. I can hear the laughter now! I have said it before and I will say it again. I love you my friend.

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl March 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

How is it possible for you to constantly amaze me with this voice of yours?

Just when I think I've heard it all you SHAZAM (jazz hands) throw out something else with such heart and depth that makes a girl WEEPY every damn time.

Love you!

Unknown March 5, 2009 at 4:46 AM  

Good to know you are surrounded by loving family and friends...so often, alot of people out in the world, do not have the experience of closer relationships. I feel bad for them and would help if I knew about them!

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP