Sunday, November 2, 2008

Art


I love art.  Almost any style or period actually!  All I care about is that it captures my emotion and not just my attention.  


Over yonder on the right, you can see Dante and Virgil in Hell by William-Adolphe Bouguereau in 1850.  This is touted as Bouguereau's masterpiece of dynamic composition.  I must admit, I had to look up it's history.  It is a scene from Dante's inferno.  "In the Fifth Circle of Hell, on the banks of the River Styx, those damned for the sin of wrath fight each other through eternity, while the sullen and slothful languish helplessly.  Dante and his guide through Hell, the ghost of the poet Virgil, observe from the left, while a demonic angel watches over al.  Note the striking similarity of the demon's appearance to the concept of Vlad's bat-like form in Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula".  

Why is this here?  Again, I like art that makes me feel.  If we look back through time, we can see issues within man (and of course woman as well) that tend to still have significance today.  I see these two men in a fighting stance, yet they appear to be kissing.  Not to take away from Dante's Inferno, but could this be a struggle the artist himself was having?  Is there deeper meaning to these two nude men?  Alas, this is what I call good art, for I can pull from it my own conclusions and emotions.  I think it would be quite something to know Bouguereau in real life. 

Onto another work which I am quite fond of.


Donald E. Brown did this piece of our little Oscar.  If you would like to see more of his work please visit his site at http://www.donaldebrown.com/gallery.htm.  This piece was done in 2007 as a gift for my partner.  We also have another painting of Barney, our previous family member.  

Art is what you make of it, literally.  Take a moment of your time and create something.  Paint, draw, write, dream, take a photo, even fold grocery bags into something unique.  However it turns out, if it catches your emotion, keep it and be proud.  Seriously, there are items in my home (and including my home) that I myself created, but most people don't even know!  In time, when you look back at your creation, it will be as a marker placed to hold a memory of time.  

Oh, for some reason, I have taken it upon myself to rush head strong into technology.  I have also just created a web site for Oscar, his friends, and those before him.  It is pretty basic, as it is my first attempt, but feel free to pay it a visit.  Just drop in and say hi to Oscar!

ps - Hey, SSG, and all of her fabulous readers.  There was a Fireman fashion show here in Portland!  Check it out!  Art for SSG!

6 comments:

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl November 2, 2008 at 3:46 PM  

Your life is a piece of art, sunshine! I am so glad I get to gaze upon its magnificence. And yes, that includes your ass.

Lys November 2, 2008 at 11:47 PM  

Welcome to the blogging world!!!

Frita November 3, 2008 at 2:04 AM  

Hi there... it's SSG's friend Mrs. Bob a.k.a. Frita. I feel like I know you through all of SSG's stories. Hopefully we'll meet next time we're visiting down your way.

I too love art and am also leaping into the land of technology and making my first website for my one of my graphic design classes.

Oscar is too cute and will soon have legions of fans. I can see why Fisher like to visit over there.

Welcome to the blogging world!

Bella Della November 3, 2008 at 5:47 AM  

Welcome! It's about time!:) We certainly know you have something great to say. I can't wait to read more.

Anonymous,  November 3, 2008 at 5:59 AM  

Is there any particular reason that I was not invited to the Fireman fashion show? Bwahahaha!

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. You will find it insightful, meaningful, and more addictive than crack!

Can't wait to see your site develop:)

HalfAsstic.com November 3, 2008 at 9:40 AM  

Well, this is awesome! Welcome to the wide, wide world of blog! Love the artwork! Kinda wish I could click on the Bouguereau and see it bigger. (Freakin' old eyes!) I will google it!
I'll be back!

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP