Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cry Freedom....




August 1st, 1981 MTV went on the air.  I had to go out of town to see it, since where I was growing up it was construed as Satan's work!  I went to my Aunts apartment to watch cable television and began a new chapter in my life.  My Aunt and her Brother, My Uncle decided it would be best for me if they had me visit them on week-ends and summers to get away from my parents.  This was a saving grace for me, and was one of the most defining moments in time I can remember.  This was an era whose soundtrack was filled with the sounds of ........



Soft-Cell and that brain warping "Tainted Love"...

Or how about Rick Springfield (when he wasn't being a soap opera star) who sang us "Jesses Girl" and "I've done everything for you"....

Or, Men Without  Hats and that tongue twister...."Safety Dance"

Ah to flash back......

I have some tasty morsels for you below.  Now don't get all crazy and break out the leg warmers or anything, oh, and step away from the perm, just step away.....










Jesse's Girl....
Safety Dance.....

4 comments:

HalfAsstic.com November 16, 2008 at 2:16 PM  

Oh. My. Gawd. That brought it all back for me. I watched every one of them and the 80's came back in a tidal wave!
It's strange, cause while not all the feelings I remember when thinking of that time are good ones, the songs are still a very welcome sound. I guess you're right about no matter how miserable you might have been at a time in your life,(early 80's DESPERATELY lonely), the songs you loved brought you solace then, so hearing and remembering them is still a good feeling, now.

Lys November 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM  

Ahhh... what a way to start a Monday but with some good 80s tunes. I've got a track for you that I'll ask SSG to email you when I eventually get the DSL working (client track - shhhhh but trust, you'll love!)

BTW - I think Rick Springfield made a deal with the devil. He still looks (and sounds) great!

Suz Broughton November 18, 2008 at 8:31 AM  

My whole life was about MTV in High School. I will never forget the summer it started. It was such a big deal. Kids today will never know...

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP