Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Men at Work





Anyone who knows me understands my addiction to music. I actually prefer “infatuation with”, but will accept any description used. I don’t know why, but I have always had an ear for music. In fact, I can use music as a roadmap of my life. Well, to highlight milestones might be a better way to put it. Regardless, I think it is always a good idea to awaken the moments of yester-year while remembering a good song or album! Soooooo, what I have been thinking, is to open up my vast collection of CD’s, tapes, and yes, even that stack of LP’s hanging out downstairs and explaining what they mean to me. I think I will only do my top 100 to keep it manageable, but maybe throw in an honorable mention from time to time. So, today we get started with a sample of what I am talking about….

The first LP I ever owned (by myself and not shared with my brother) was given to me on my 12th birthday from my Uncle “M”. It was “MEN AT WORK, BUSINESS AS USUAL”. I loved this album, and played it over and over and over and over. At the time, and unfortunately for anyone within a mile of our house, my parents were living together (a situation that went back and forth almost weekly – move in – move out – move in – move out!!!). Anyway, my parents had routine knock down drag out fights that were renowned in my neighborhood. So, My Aunt “P” got me a set of headphones and my Uncle “M” got me my first very own LP! I quickly found that I could put the record on and run the headphone cord under the closet door. This gave me hideaway to listen to songs like “Who Can It Be Now?’, “Down Under” and “I Can See It In Your Eyes”. The entire album has been engrained in my memory banks, in fact too date I still know all the words! Of course I still used my bulky table top tape recorder to record songs off the radio, but LP's sounded so much better!!!! Ah, yesterday when I was young.......

I am not ranking this album in my top 100, as it is pretty much the beginning of it all.

Other events occurring at this time were:

Epcot, the second largest theme park at the time was almost completed!

Sony was working on the first compact disc player!

Falkland War

Cal Ripken starts what will eventually become his record-breaking consecutive games played streak of 2,632!

The first "Rubik's Cube" World Championship

The Equal Rights Amendment falls short of the 38 states needed to pass (equal rights based on sex)!

Billy Joel seriously injured in mototcycle accident in Long Island

Madonna signed a record deal and was working on her first album “Madonna”!

Michael Jackson's Thriller will release and go on to sell 20 million copies....

Ozzy bites the head off a live bat thrown at him at a concert!

Princess Grace of Monaco dies when her car hurtles off a cliff.

John Belushi Dies

Liposuction is introduced

Vietnam Memorial is erected

Eye of the Tiger was the number one song for the entire month of August, only to be bumped out in September by “Abracadabra” (Steve Miller Band) and then “Hard to say I’m Sorry” (by Chicago). “Jack and Diane” (John Cougar) took over for October!

Top grossing songs of 1982:

Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)

Down Under (Men at Work)

I Love Rock and Roll (Joan Jett & The Blackhearts)

Come on Eileen (Dexys Midnight Runners)

Don’t You Want Me? (The Human League)

7 comments:

Big Hair Envy November 12, 2008 at 9:14 AM  

You were 12 in 1982? Well my dear, I was 16!! I LIVED those songs:) The Surveyor and I were riding around town in his '69 Camaro jamming to every one of those (and a few by Molly Hatchet & Lynrd Skynrd) - the world was our oyster!

I really like this post idea. Can't wait to explore other years with you. Thanks for the memories!!

Bella Della November 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM  

Um, I was 5 in 1982, but I will leave that alone before you guys start throwing things at me :) This is an awesome thing to post about. It is really true that we all have a soundtrack in life. Songs can trigger such memories.

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl November 12, 2008 at 6:57 PM  

Ok, EVERY single song you mentioned I just sang out loud until I read the next one!

HalfAsstic.com November 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

Oh Gawd! You have made me feel soooo old! In a way, but young in another. I was 19 in 1982! Oh, yes, I remember all those songs so very well. I waitressed off and on through college and these songs were played constantly as cocktails were being served. I have seen the Thriller video a million times on a big screen that played the top MTV hits all night for the patrons to watch.
Young, carefree, (well, pretty much), and good music all the time. Good times.
I love your idea of listing the songs and rating them, now. Can't wait to see!

Frita November 12, 2008 at 11:37 PM  

I'm totally the same way. For me, music can take me back to time and place more strongly than anything else can.

Why can't our life be like it is for the girls on The Hills? I want a cool soundtrack to follow me around throughout the day and change with my moods or the events of my life.

So I was 14 in 1982 and distinctly remember dancing to this song at one of my first Freshman dances. Did people jump around alot in the video because that's what I remember us all doing.

Lys November 13, 2008 at 2:29 PM  

SHUT UP! Abracadabra was used in my "dance class" - granted I was in 6th grade and just - wow - half of those songs take me back to when I first moved back to Massachusetts. My first 45" (RECORD PREDO RECORD, down boy!) was Jack & Diane...

Ahhh - those were the days.

Suz Broughton November 15, 2008 at 7:15 AM  

I love Colin Hay, the singer from Men at Work. His solo stuff is so good. If you haven't listened to him go to Blip.fm and type in his name. Anything he's done I think you would love (Listen to me? So bossy!).
You could link music using BLIP.fm, like I do on my site, that way we could listen to (Don't work for them, again, just being bossy!)
This is such a great idea! Thanks for the trip down memory road.
Suz

About Me

My photo
Just some random thoughts from a random guy in a random world...

Link to me

Images

Some of the images above were found on the internet.  If these images are being used without permission, please let me know and I will remove them.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP